If you have got yourself a Netgear Orbi WiFi mesh system, then we must say you made a very good choice. Netgear Orbi is one of the best mesh systems available today. You can easily get good internet speed and coverage in the whole home using this mesh system after you set it up via Netgear Orbi login. But while you were getting more acquainted with this device, you must have learned about firmware and firmware updates. If you want to learn about how to update the firmware on your Orbi device and why you need to do so, we will help you out. We have highlighted in the upcoming sections the necessary information that you seek.
Why to Update Firmware on Orbi?
Firmware is software that is embedded in all networking devices and so is on your Netgear Orbi. This software is meant to help the device do its functions. But for the smooth functioning of the Orbi or any other networking device, it is necessary that you keep its firmware updated. With a simple firmware update, you add new features to your device, fix bugs, and enhance its security and performance. With so many advantages, a firmware update becomes a mandatory part. Your device may start giving you trouble if you do not do timely updates.
How to Update Netgear Orbi?
You can easily update the firmware on your Netgear Orbi by accessing its admin dashboard. Here are the instructions that you need to use and update the device in an easy manner:
- Connect the Netgear Orbi router to an active power socket and turn it on. The power socket that you are using should not be damaged. Plus the power cable should not be loose and the power supply has to be adequate.
- Connect the Orbi router now to the modem to ensure it gets a proper internet connection. You can use an Ethernet cable to establish the connection between the two devices. Make sure that connection between them is finger-tight.
- Now put your hands on a computer and turn it on. Ensure using an updated computer or laptop.
- Fire up an internet browser on it. Using an updated web browser is suggested to avoid any issues.
- Download the latest version of firmware for the Orbi model that you have. Different Orbi models have different firmware updates. Ensure getting the correct file downloaded. If you try to install the wrong file on your Orbi, it may damage the device.
- Save the firmware file on your computer. Unzip it if required.
- Visit orbilogin.com by inserting the web address in the address bar of the browser. Avoid using the search bar of the browser to insert the web address.
- Using the admin login credentials, access the Netgear Orbi admin dashboard.
- On the admin panel, you will need to go to Settings.
- Now go to the Administration option under the Advanced section.
- Click on Firmware Update and then click on Manual Update.
- This will open the Firmware Update page on your PC.
- You first need to update your Satellite and then update the router.
- So, click on the check box next to the Orbi satellite and click on the Update button. This will open the Orbi satellite firmware update page.
- Click on the Browse button and navigate to the firmware file that you saved earlier.
- Select the file by clicking on it.
- Click on Upload to install the firmware on the satellite.
- Wait for some time till you get a confirmation message regarding the update done on the satellite.
- Now, go back to the Basic Home page and go to the Firmware Update page.
- Again select Advanced, Administration, and Firmware Update options in the same sequence.
- Click on the Manual Update option and then click on the Browse button and select the firmware file meant for the Orbi router.
- Next, click on the Upload button and install the firmware on the router.
Wrapping Things Up
This way you can easily update the firmware on your Netgear Orbi router and satellites. By updating the firmware you can easily get rid of issues with it like Netgear Orbi purple light issue, poor WiFi connection, etc. Thus it is essential that you keep your Orbi system updated all the time.