Anastrozole (Arimidex) is used to lower the estrogen levels in women who have reached the Postmenopausal stage. It is helpful in slowing down the growth of a few particular breast cancers/tumours which require estrogen for their growth in the body. It is one of the top choices for treating breast cancer and improving survival rates, but it can only be used by women who have achieved menopause.
Arimidex can cause a few side effects, such as headaches, night sweats, and hot flashes. Arimidex generic is an NSAID i.e. a selective non-steroidal aromatase inhibitor. The protein that produces estrogen in the body is known as Aromatase. It is responsible for the growth of cancer cells that cause Breast cancer.
The medication works by blocking the protein aromatase, which helps in lowering the body’s normal production of the hormone estrogen. Without estrogen, the breast cells can’t grow, increasing the survival chances in women with Breast cancer. Like all treatments, therapies, and medication available, Anastrozole also has side effects. If you have been instructed to take Arimidex to treat your condition.
Common Side Effects of Anastrozole
The most common side effects of Arimidex are as follows:
- Flushing, Hot flashes
- Weakness, Fatigue, Headache, Dizziness, Tingling, and numbness
- Nausea, Constipation, Diarrhoea
- Joint Pain, Back Pain, Breast pain, Stomach pain, Bone pain, Muscle pain, and Pelvic pain
- Fluid Retention and swelling
- Trouble breathing, Dry Mouth, Anxiety, Depression
- UTI, Skin Rash
- Cough, Flu, Sore throat, Sinuses, Stuffy nose
- Vaginal Bleeding
- Acid indigestion, Loss of appetite
- Weight loss and elevated cholesterol levels
Severe Side Effects of Anastrozole
The most severe side effects of Arimidex in the order of its incidence are as follows:
- New tumors
- Chest pain
- Blood Clots
- Heart Attack
- Stevens-Johnson Syndrome
- Broken bones
- High blood pressure
- Live problems
- Endometrial cancer
- Severe allergic reactions
How Soon can Anastrozole’s Side Effects Start?
Some of the anastrozole side effects begin to show in the first few days of the treatment. Side effects like headache, dry mouth, hot flashes, insomnia, and digestive problems can be seen at the start of the treatment itself, and these types of common side effects improve in a few months. Others like body pain, depression, weight gain, and other serious side effects usually unfold weeks, months, and even years after the treatment has started.
How Long Do Anastrozole’s Side Effects last?
Milder/common side effects start improving in the treatment’s first few weeks or months. The ones that do not improve during the course usually disappear after the treatment ends. Some severe side effects may take several weeks to improve after the last dosage.
How Can You Avoid Anastrozole Side effects?
Anastrozole has a broad spectrum of side effects. You can try the below-given tips to help you minimise or prevent some of the anastrozole side effects:
- Inform your healthcare provider about your current medications and treatments.
- Always keep your follow-up appointments with doctors.
- Follow the instructions given by your doctor.
- Never miss a dose, and don’t take a double amount to make up for a missed dosage.
- Include physical activity in your daily life.
- Eat a healthy diet and include vitamin and calcium supplements.
- Avoid smoking and drinking.
How can You Treat The Side Effects of Anastrozole?
- Use cooling pads and splash water on your face to prevent hot flashes.
- Keep drinking fluids in small sips to improve nausea and vomiting.
- Move around, do stretches, and exercise to relieve your aches and pains
- Take medicines like bisphosphonates to help improve bone density and treat Osteoporosis.
- If you experience allergic reactions, stop taking the medication and seek immediate medical attention.
- Inform your doctor if you experience chest pain, as Arimidex can reduce blood flow to the heart.
Arimidex is not recommend for use in women during their reproductive age or pregnancy. It’s better to avoid the medication if you are breastfeeding your child and it is also not approved for use in teens or children. Get your medications delivered to your doorstep, and avail benefits like free shipping and reorder discounts if you order from us.
Being aware of potential Anastrozole side effects is crucial for patients and healthcare providers alike. Open communication, regular monitoring, and proactive management of side effects contribute to a more positive treatment experience. Each patient’s response to Anastrozole is unique, emphasizing the importance of personalized care and shared decision-making in the journey towards breast cancer management.